Other than cowboy hats, most of the remainder of the hat styles can be divided into two categories; the fedora and the trilby. Both hat styles originated in the late 1800s and were originally seen as wardrobe accessories in plays. The two hat styles are often mistaken for one another, however the trilby has a shorter, more varied crown shape and the brim is typically less than 2 inches in width. However these are not hard and fast rules. In fact we break them all the time!
A fedora is typically taller, with the crown and brim widths between 2 1/4 and 2 3/4 inches, but once again these are guidelines. The snap brim that originated on the trilby hat style has a flatter, less dramatic brim curve on a fedora. Both the fedora and trilby hat styles became popular in the early 20th century and remain popular today.
The fedora hat style comes from the 1882 play entitled Princess Fedora, and featured the greatest actress of her day in the title role. The hat that Sarah Bernhardt wore was a low-crowned, creased and pinched short-brimmed hat. Soon the fedora hat style was being worn all over the world.
The fedora is characterized by a crown that is usually around 5 inches at its highest, with a “snap” brim width between 2 1/4 and 2 3/4 inches wide.
A favorite of actors and musicians, the trilby hat style comes from an 1894 play based on George du Maurier’s novel, Trilby. The trilby became popular with the wealthy in Great Britain and various versions were soon being exported around the globe.
The trilby hat style has a crown shorter than a fedora and a brim width less than 2 inches. The brim is angled down at the front, and curled at the back. Or the brim can be turned up all the way around. Or turned down all the way around.
HATS THAT LAST FROM HATS OF HOLLYWOOD
Every computer/mobile device will display colors a little differently. These differences are beyond our control.
- BONE dirty white, the color of a bleached bone
- SILVER MIST very pale gray
- SILVER BELLY another pastel color this is a grayee-brown
- SAND a very pale yellow. Beach sand color
- GRANITE a light to medium light gray
- CHARCOAL a dark gray
- WARM BLACK has an apple red undertone. Only noticeable in bright light
- BLACK the most popular hat color
- SAHARA mid brown a shade lighter than natural
- NATURAL rich mid brown the color of a beaver pelt
- PECAN A browny-green. KHAKI
- YELLOW one of our bright colors.
- BURGUNDY a dark rich red
- RUST a dark browny-red, the deep color of a rusty metal pipe
- RED bright cherry color
- CAMEL a bright yellowy brown
- WHISKEY dark amber like a shot of whiskey
- FOREST GREEN a mid green a shade or two lighter than moss green
- MOSS GREEN a dark rich green
- CHOCOLATE a dark brown
- POWDER BLUE a bright, pale blue
- ROYAL BLUE a mid to dark shade of bright blue. NY Giants blue
- PURPLE the color of ROYALTY
- NAVY BLUE dark blue